Letter to Me
by Steve Klein
Brad Paisley had a hit country song entitled "Letter to Me." He imagines writing a letter as a mature man back to himself as a 17 year old. I wish I could write such a letter back to myself. Here are some things I would say.
I. Don't worry so much about fitting in
A. Most of the world could not care less about you. ILLUS: You would worry a lot less about what others thought of you if you knew how little they did.
B. Your peers don't have it all figured out, are not as happy as they may appear and aren't worth your time trying to impress.
1. They are walking in futility. Ephesians 4:17-20 This I say, therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you should no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles walk, in the futility of their mind, (18) having their understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart; (19) who, being past feeling, have given themselves over to lewdness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. (20) But you have not so learned Christ,
2. Most of the opinions and think so's of worldly peers are worthless. Matthew 6:7-8 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. (8) "Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.
II. If friends influence you to do wrong, they're not your friends. Proverbs 1:10-18.
III. Choose the girl God would choose for you.
A. The most wonderful girl you'll ever meet and the future mother of your children is not the cheerleader you had a crush on in school, but the wholesome God-fearing southern girl you met your freshman year in college - of course you won't realize this for four years after you meet.
B. Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.
IV. Take care of your body, you'll need it later. 1 Corinthians 6:15-20
V. Take advantage of your opportunities to learn.
A. Whether its Spanish or history or Bible or auto mechanics, learn to the best of you ability.
1. Proverbs 8:33 Hear instruction and be wise, And do not disdain it.
2. Proverbs 23:12 Apply your heart to instruction, And your ears to words of knowledge.
B. Many benefits
1. It will make you wise. Proverbs 19:20 Listen to counsel and receive instruction, That you may be wise in your latter days.
2. It is your life. Proverbs 4:13 Take firm hold of instruction, do not let go; Keep her, for she is your life.
VI. Your parents are always right.
A. Brad Paisley's song says that "each and every time you have a fight just assume you're wrong and daddy's right."
B. You'll look good if you listen to your folks, and bad if you don't Proverbs 1:8-9 My son, hear the instruction of your father, And do not forsake the law of your mother; (9) For they will be a graceful ornament on your head, And chains about your neck.
C. Bad things happen when you rebel against your parents. Proverbs 20:20 Whoever curses his father or his mother, His lamp will be put out in deep darkness.
VII. Getting away with wrong only feels good for a little while.
A. Proverbs 9:17-18 "Stolen water is sweet, And bread eaten in secret is pleasant." (18) But he does not know that the dead are there, That her guests are in the depths of hell.
B. Proverbs 20:17 Bread gained by deceit is sweet to a man, But afterward his mouth will be filled with gravel.
VIII. Your life isn't over when you become an adult - Ecclesiastes 11:9-10 Rejoice, O young man, in your youth, And let your heart cheer you in the days of your youth; Walk in the ways of your heart, And in the sight of your eyes; But know that for all these God will bring you into judgment. (10) Therefore remove sorrow from your heart, And put away evil from your flesh, For childhood and youth are vanity.
Conclusion: If I could write a letter to me, and then go back and live life again from then to now, I wouldn't change many of the choices I've made (a few, but not many), but those choices would have been a lot easier
Return to the Home Page of the New Georgia Church of Christ